There's no such thing as too many pillows when it comes to a bedroom
Although primarily used as a finishing touch in interior design, cushions are an important element to consider when creating a bohemian-inspired space. Just imagine a room full of friends, laughing, sipping tea – comfort is crucial right? Which is why the right cushions can elevate your room and add style instantly.
With that said, if you’re asking how to style boho pillows in your home, then you’ve come to the correct place. Read on to discover how to style your sofa and bed with cushions, what makes an authentic boho pillow and how to mix and match cushions to create a stylish but comfortable vibe in any room.
What is a bohemian cushion?
Typically, bohemian inspired cushions take inspiration from global travels such as the souks of Morocco, the tiny cobbled streets of Ibiza Old Town, spiritual getaways in Bali, and peaceful days on the white sands of Tulum, Mexico.
Expect woven cottons, macramé, Turkish influences, tribal patterns, rattan, seagrass, raffia and other natural materials – the key to success is the high quality of craftsmanship.
Pillows' magic touch. Our photoshoot in Palma de Mallorca
How to arrange sofa pillows
- The first point is to make sure your cushions contrast. There’s beauty in the odd prints and patterns. Keep the tones similar throughout for a cohesive look, however, but don’t worry about clashing motifs.
- Remember comfort is key so, whether you’re on a bed or a sofa, pile them up high. We’re envisioning you sinking back into a cocoon as soon as you sit down after a long day at work.
- Mix tactile textures such as cotton, wool and rattan to really add depth to your sofa.
- The largest cushions need to be placed at the back, and a styling tip to remember is that cushions in a plain colour create the perfect backdrop to printed designs so layer in this order.
- If you have guests around, consider throwing larger cushions on the floor to create a laid-back seating area. Again, pile them high for maximum comfort.
How to style your bed like an interior designer
- If you’re looking to dress your bed like an interior designer, then taking a little extra time in the morning will make all difference to your day. You know what they say, people who make their bed everyday are happier and more motivated.
- The ideal number of cushions for a king size bed stops at six, whereas a double should total five, and a single, three.
- As mentioned above, feel free to clash prints, but retain a similar colour throughout to create a cohesive style in the room. Cushions are the perfect way of adding an accent colour to your bed in a non-uniform way.
- Adding a complimentary bohemian throw and rug into the mix gives the room more texture and depth.
Creating outdoor cozy oasis seating area using boho pillows
Create an outdoor seating area with boho pillows
- Taking the style outside, a great way to create an outdoor seating area is to casually throw a mix of cushions on seating and on decking in varying sizes – close your eyes and you could be in a cabana on the beach of Mykonos, right? Except with your next-door neighbours right there with you. Perhaps not.
- Add a fringed parasol for both shade and the perfect Instagram moment, as well as a serving tray filled with cocktail ingredients. We’re thinking mojito’s with fresh mint from the garden.
- Place candles in lanterns and spread around the decking for a relaxing evening hideaway as the sun sets.
If you got so far you must love cushions, and if you love cushions we wanted to share that love and give you a coupon, helping you to create the perfect global-inspired bohemian abode. Just enter BOHOLOVER at the checkout and don’t forget to tag us in your pictures on Instagram @FabHub_Design.