A Gift Within a Gift
As your calendar fills up with weekly weekend family and friend gatherings, it seems your gift list is only getting longer and longer. From Friendsgiving to holiday parties, we’re about to hit the busiest but most rewarding season, the season of gifting. And after picking or making the perfect sustainable gift for our loved one, wrapping it in a paper that will be binned in a few minutes does not equal the time and care you’ve put into the gift.
Linen and cotton-based fabrics are the perfect material for this zero-waste wrapping. Get creative with your knots, the possibilities are endless. Captured by: @justravelynn
Eco-friendly wrapping is a thoughtful way to show how special your gift is inside and out. Taking inspiration from Furoshiki, the traditional Japanese wrapping cloth, wrapping with sustainable fabrics, such as linen, cotton fabric or burlap, eliminates the need for one-time use tape or thin wrapping paper. Whether the gift inside is a perfect cube or something of unique shape/size, these textiles encourage your creativity and maximize versatility.
The beautiful tradition of Furoshiki wrapping, an elegant and eco-friendly act of care. Captured by: @justravelynn
Some tips for your own gift wrapping:
- Look for a material with a bit of stretch, and nothing too thick so tying a knot can be done easily
- The fabric you are using can be square or rectangular, just make sure at least the ends will easily tie together
- Reuse fabric scraps or regular crumbled packing paper, it doesn’t have to be perfect, and therein lies its beauty
- We encourage you to look around your garden or on your daily walk for greenery that will add some personality to the present. Dried flowers or branches are the perfect accessory for your gift
- And lastly, these wrapping techniques can be used not only for gifts, but also for travel, carrying shopping or as a lunch bag. Encourage your loved one to reuse the cloth and introduce these wrapping techniques in their daily lives. Remember, creativity drives sustainability.
Fold, Tie, Pull, Decorate - simply exquisite. Captured by: @justravelynn