In the most happening, beautiful, stylish spaces, you will find hints of the Boho-Chic aesthetic. What was once a counterculture secret is now highly fashionable. In fact, this style has been seen on runways from New York Fashion Week to Milan and Paris and is now an inseparable part of the Burning Man culture. Bohemian style hasn’t always been on the cover of Vogue or Elle Décor. In fact, the origin of the Boho-Chic aesthetic is rooted in a much humbler beginning. This posh aesthetic evolved after French artists and writers turned away from convention and focused on the beauty hidden in the counterculture.
What Makes the Boho Style so Unique
A Boho-Chic style offers some of the most innovative designs while holding onto a sense of comfort and familiarity. And of course, the effortless allure and sense of adventure remain fundamental elements of Boho-Chic. A bohemian home is warm, inviting, and truly unique.
Luckily, you can achieve that style with a little work and planning.
To get you started, here are 5 tips that will add Bohemian elegance to your place.
1. Start from Bottom-Up: Choose the Right Rug
For a more lux and unique infusion of Boho beauty in your home, a Scandi Boho Rug will give your abode a sense of adventure and art. Remember that rugs make a profound impact on a room. If you’re ready to commit to boho style, choose a rug with a rich pattern and soft colors. Hand woven rugs exemplify Bohemian style at its best.
This will be the foundation to help you build and layer more colors in your artwork and accessories.
2. Your Way to Bohemia: Free-Spirited Paint Colors
If you want to save yourself the need to switch wall colors, choose a soft, free-spirited neutral color. Neutrals create a timeless versatile design that can handle changes in wall décor and draperies.
Neutral doesn’t have to mean beige when choosing your Boho paint. Think about earthy and natural colors like:
- Pale Apricot
- White Linen
- Soft and subtle Succulent Blue or Green
Pro tip: If you feel like being bold with your paint choice, try a patterned wallpaper or paint-patterned accent wall. You will have to plan the rest of your color palette around this wall, so choose a color you love.
Some trendy colors include
- Peacock Violet, Blue, or Teal
- Living Coral
- Moroccan Red
3. Choose Eclectic Pillows, the More the Merrier
The details are everything: after you have decided on a paint color and rug, you will want to build a collection of awe-inspiring accessories that capture your personality and highlight travel and culture. This part of the process is often the most fun!
Boho-chic accessories can be a wide range of colors and patterns. Don’t be afraid to mix it up!
- Dig through those boxes in your basement or attic and pull out any heirlooms or souvenirs you have hidden away. Place these throughout the space on shelves, the coffee table, and hang them on the wall.
- Create a gallery wall with your collection of artwork. The frames, shapes, and styles don’t need to match. If there is a common color within the artwork, this can be quite striking and tell visitors a story of your travels and define your taste.
- Add some Scandi Boho Pillows to your throw pillows to give your bed or sofa some Boho-Chic flair. Those pillows will do the job! beauty and texture that will last. The sophisticated designs allow you to mix and match patterns and sizes.
- Use global styled lamps, lanterns, and candles. Most boho lamps make a bold statement. This can be through woven natural materials, wood or metal, repurposed baskets, or beaded, glass, and fringed lampshades. Lamps work well to add color and mystique to your home. Candles awaken the senses and bring you to a faraway place with the right scent.
4. Create a Space That’s Inviting and Comfortable with Unique Furniture
You don’t have to spend a fortune to pull together a Boho home with great furniture pieces. Check out your local secondhand shops and flea markets for coffee tables, side tables, and shelves that have been pre-loved. The distressed style of secondhand pieces adds depth to a boho room. You can even give some of the furniture a fresh look with some paint if you choose.
Don’t shy away from pairing wood with metals and hanging mirrors. You can even find used plates that look amazing when used as art.
5. Don’t Stop Collecting and Changing Your Space
One of the most unique characteristics of Boho-Chic style is that common decorating rules don’t apply. This aesthetic embraces excess and mixing and matching which can allow you to surround yourself with all the memories and pieces that you truly love.
Keep your space dynamic by adding more pillows, artwork, and accessories over time. If you take an unforgettable trip, pick up a new ceramic pot or fabric that captures the locale. This will add even more global beauty and personality to your home.
When selecting design elements for your Boho space, remember to choose high-quality pieces that will warm your heart and last. Boho-Chic spaces invite fun and encourage you to create new memories with your friends. Don’t be afraid to experiment.
Boho style is here to stay. As you find your own personalized version of it that shows off your travels, art, and beloved objects, your home style will become filled with love and capture who you are as an individual. Remember that bohemianism is about maximalism and eclectic elements, so don’t hesitate to express your spirituality and inspire others!